A platform is a plug and play business model that permits anybody to connect to it and it allows the creation and the exchange of value through the contact of customers and manufacturers. There are multiple examples of existing digital platform: Google search engine, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.
The techniques associated to the digital platforms are:
- Online Advertising: refers to the advertisement that it’s possible to put on several online digital platforms for reaching their actual and potential customers for adding value to their brands.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): is a process that affects the visibility of your online content in a search engine result based on different keywords. Data tell us that the 93% (BIANCHINI, D, 2011) of internet experiences start with a search engine and Google takes the 75, 97% (Net Applications, 2016) of this clicks, hence SEO it’s important. For this reason in order to get a proper rank to the own contents it’s necessary to build up a user likable page full of relevant images video and concepts (PATEL, N, 2016).
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): is a kind of marketing that allows earning more traffic on website through the payment of advertising on search engines (Search Engine Land, 2016). Google has the pay-per-link, websites have to pay for gaining instant visibility.
- E-mail Marketing: use e-mail for promoting goods and/or services of a specific and also to develop relationships with potential and/or actual customers (WARD, S).
- Mobile Marketing: it creates marketing solution to be delivered to cell phones, smartphones or other handle device (ROUSE, M.).
- Video Marketing: it consists in the use of video for promoting ideas, goods, services, offers (Funnelbox, 2016).
Nowadays the use of Internet is largely employed and it is growing every day. Using a digital platform and the techniques associated to it provides a huge amount of data about potential/actual customers and the possibility of improve relationships with them gaining loyalty and as consequences higher revenues.
Critique of Online Advertising
Online advertising as we know has a lot of benefits but over a period of time some concerns about security, fraud etc. have come forward. Below we will talk about some benefits and concerns about Online Advertising.
Some benefits of online advertising are:
- It is an effective method of advertising because electronic communication is cheaper and efficient than offline. It provides better return than any other advertising media.( Hu, Yu; Shin, Jiwoong; Tang, Zhulei, September 2012)..
- Effectiveness of an advertisement can be measured, reaction of the visitors can be monitored which in turn helps in improved advertising campaigns.
- They are interactive.g., user can ask questions and also connect with the brand on social media.(Moses, Lucia, 2013)
- It has the ability to reach focus and narrow market segments for targeted marketing.
Some concerns of online advertising are:
- It can put the security and privacy of users in danger. Hackers can easily access personal information if it’s online and misuse it. (Lucian Constantin, 2014-05-15)
- Eye-tracking studies have shown that users often ignore web page areas which have display ads also called “banner blindness”. This problem is more acute in online than in offline.( Pieters, Rik, 2008)
- Clients can be overcharged for their advertising.g. click fraud occurs when a third part or a publisher clicks on a CPC with no intentions of buying it legally.(The Economist, 2006)
- The low cost of communicating advertising via internet contributes to spam. A comman practice for internet scammers. Several steps are being taken to combat scams, which include blacklisting to mandatory labeling to content filters, but mostly these efforts have unfavourable collateral effects, E.g. mistaken filtering.
Paypal: has given a very good example of email. The opening copy is very clever and concise, and the whole concept reflects a relatable of using the service. Think: How many times have you been in a situation where you went out to party with friends and then fussed over the bill when it came time to pay? By tapping into this common problem, PayPal is able to stimulate the interest of its audience.
Today marketing is going through a huge change, from traditionally being a ‘pay to play’ model where MNC’s could get away without actually engaging their clients. Social media has played a huge role in democratization of content and opinions because of it super quick growth. This will help small companies who dont have unlimited marketing budgets to go head to head with competitors. With consumers gaining access to both media and the network to make themselves heard there will be no scope for the old ‘smoke and mirrors’ approach.